Friday, November 14, 2008

November Advising Blog

We are in the home stretch for this semester! The finish line is in sight and now is the time to kick in the little extra we need to take home a medal. Yes, we are tired. Yes, it takes energy. But, now is the time to forge ahead and focus on the goal.

Think of the reason you started this trek. You want to be an RN. You are so close to completing one more step along the way. Consider if you are staying on course.

  • Am I studying as much and as well as needed?
  • Am I getting enough rest so I can start each day fresh and energized?
  • Am I eating right to keep myself strong?
  • Am I using the resources available to me, including my instructors, advisor, Learning Support Services, and other students?
  • Am I taking some time to re-energize myself?
  • What would help me achieve what I want?
  • What am I willing to do?

Some ideas which might come in handy as you review this semester’s material:

  • Take breaks between study sessions – study 30-40 minutes and take a short break.
  • Make a schedule indicating what to study when. Check off each item as it is completed.
  • Be sure to allow time to review materials covered earlier in the term as well as the more recent content.
  • Get enough rest and proper nutrition. Eat finger foods on the go that have high nutritional value, rather than grabbing a candy bar.
  • Draw connections between content when possible. Give examples of the material as it applies to life.
  • Organize the content from your notes and readings so “mirror” questions can be asked and answered. Summarize each page of notes.
  • Use your support system: your advisor, faculty member, family, friends, the Learning Center including Writing Center, Learning Support Services, and Biological Support Services.
  • Continue to encourage and support one another.
  • Lastly, maintain a positive attitude. Each day provides an opportunity to reach for your dreams!

    Maureen Schwab, Assistant Professor, TCCNHS

No comments: